We’ve put together an exciting expedition that combines a Komi homestay and fishing with a week of rafting. You’ll travel from Salekhard to the eerie half-abandoned city of Vorkuta, enjoying the incredible scenery of the Polar Urals along the way.
It’s a summer adventure like no other!
Price is based on double occupancy: a single supplement of €200 will apply if you are a single traveller and are not happy to share a twin room.
Contact us via email or phone if your preferred dates are unavailable.
· Arrive at Salekhard airport and transfer to the hotel.
· Check-in and arrival briefing about what to expect in the days ahead
· Our local guides will check that your gear is suitable for the expedition.
· Afternoon tour of Salekhard.
· Group arrival dinner
· After breakfast, load up the off-road vehicles for our trip to Lake Estato
· Visit the abandoned Polyarny geology settlement
· Arrive at the Komi homestay for your welcome and evening meal
· Life with the Komi.
· Observe the traditional way of life and coping strategies for this harsh environment.
· Fishing and hiking opportunities.
· Participate in the daily running of the camp.
· Life with the Komi
· Rafting safety briefing
· After breakfast we start the rafting portion of the expedition
· Gentle paddling to our lunch spot and then on to our campsite
· Set up camp for the night
· Break down the camp after breakfast and begin rafting
· Our eventual destination for the day is near a beautiful canyon
· Set up camp for the next 2 nights
· 11km hike into a beautiful canyon or fishing by the campsite
· If you wish, you can simply relax at the camp and enjoy your surroundings
· Break down camp after breakfast and get back on the rafts
· Plenty of opportunity for fishing along the route
· Set up for the final night of camping
· A short rafting trip after breakfast to our stopping point
· Transfer to Vorkuta and check in to our hotel
· Enjoy a hot shower and some free time to explore before dinner
· Free morning to do as you wish
· Afternoon tour of the city
· We transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Moscow
The Trip Cost Includes:
- Accommodation: 1 night in Salekhard hotel (twin-share), 2 nights in Vorkuta hotel (twin-share), 4 nights camping, 3 nights homestay with Komi
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- Russian Arctic Travel English-speaking guide
- Tour of Salekhard if desired
- All transfers in Salekhard
- Vehicles and fuel on expedition
- Arctic safety/security equipment
- Rafting equipment including wetsuits and life vests
- Fishing equipment
- Tents, sleeping bags and cooking equipment for camping
- Permits and visa invitation letter
- Return flights from Moscow - Salekhard/Vorkuta
The Trip Cost Does Not Include:
- Personal expenses such as drinks, tickets, phone calls, etc.
- Travel Insurance
- Individual clothing, backpack, cold-weather clothing, (contact us for advice)
- Use of banya/sauna in Salekhard
Frequently Asked QuestionsExpand/Close
In July the weather is usually quite warm during the day, but temperatures can drop significantly overnight. We recommend bringing both a lightweight and thicker down (or equivalent) jacket. Multiple layers are recommended so that you can dress for different temperatures. You can hire your outer layers from us if you arrive and find that it’s colder than expected!
We advise bringing 2 sets of swimwear to put on under your wetsuit, so that you can be sure of having a dry set each morning. You’ll also need a swimsuit for the banya if you wish to visit during your trip!
Sleeping bags are included in the cost of your trip, as are tents, rafting, camping and fishing equipment where applicable.
You can book a trip to the Banya in Salekharde – this is a mixed banya and you should bring swimwear if you book this option.
We’re always happy to discuss any further customisations to trips. Please email or call us with additional queries.
When camping we’ll be cooking for ourselves and can cater to any dietary restrictions. Please inform us at the time of booking so that we can ensure we are able to source the required ingredients. Please be aware that meat and fish will be served at mealtimes.
No specific training is required for our rafting trips as we will go through a safety briefing and general instructions on the first evening. We are very used to taking people with no rafting experience on these trips, so you don’t need to worry if you’re a total beginner! A moderate level of fitness will definitely help you enjoy the trip a little more, but most people will find the pace very manageable.