Yamal, in Russia’s far north, is a land of extremes where winter temperatures can drop as low as -64°C, turning the landscape into a frozen fairytale, perfect for winter adventures. On this expedition, we head out into the Siberian wilderness on cross-country skis in search of the Northern Lights and the indigenous Nenet people with their reindeer herds.
Price is based on double occupancy: a single supplement of €200 will apply if you are a single traveller and are not happy to share a twin room.
Contact us via email or phone if your preferred dates are unavailable.
· Arrive at Salekhard airport and transfer to the hotel.
· Check-in and arrival briefing about what to expect in the days ahead
· Our local guides will check that your gear is suitable for the expedition.
· Afternoon tour of Salekhard.
· Group arrival Dinner
· Early breakfast in Salekhard and trip across the ice road to the village of Kharp.
· Organise and pack our gear
· Depart for the first day of skiing 12-20km
· Skiing with our pulks through the amazing landscapes of the Polar Urals.
· Set up our camp, warm up with a hot meal, and hope for the spectacle of the Northern Lights in the starry sky above us.
· Daily travel of 12-20km
· Meet up with the Nenets (this may occur earlier depending on the location of their camp).
· Welcome by the Nenets family before joining them for dinner.
· Overnight in chum.
· Life with the Nenets.
· Observe the traditional way of life and coping strategies for this harsh environment.
· Photography opportunities.
· Participate in the daily running of the camp.
· Help chop firewood and learn about Nenets cooking.
· Learn how to make reindeer-skin clothing, wooden sledges, and other essentials for polar life.
· Shared breakfast with the family
· Transfer to the nearest train station for return to Kharp then by road to Salekhard.
· Check into our hotel for the night.
· Free day in Salekhard.
· Optional Banya visit in Salekhard
· Group farewell dinner.
· Transfer to Salekhard airport after breakfast to catch your flight.
The Trip Cost Includes:
- Accommodation: 3 nights in Salekhard hotel (twin-share), 3 nights homestay with the Nenets, 5 nights camping (the exact split of accommodation on expedition may vary depending on weather and location of Nenets camp)
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- Local Guide
- All transfers in Salekhard
- Snowmobiles and fuel
- Arctic safety/security equipment
- Skis, pulks and all camping equipment
- Return flights from Moscow or St Petersburg to Salekhard
The Trip Cost Does Not Include:
- Personal expenses such as drinks, tickets, phone calls, etc.
- Travel Insurance
- Individual clothing, backpack, cold-weather clothing (contact us for advice - rental is available)
- Use of banya/sauna in Salekhard
Frequently Asked QuestionsExpand/Close
Temperatures here can reach -64°C and you’ll be outside on snowmobiles so the right clothes are really important. We recommend that you have either wool or synthetic base layers (not cotton!) with fleece mid-layers. Outer layers should be rated to withstand polar temperatures, and you’ll need bib-style pants so that the wind doesn’t get under your jacket on the snowmobile. If you’re having difficulty sourcing outer layers then we recommend that you hire them from us – this will also save space in your luggage!
If you would like to visit the Banya in Salekhard then please ensure that you bring your swimsuit.
Sleeping bags are included in the cost of your trip, as are tents, camping and fishing equipment where applicable.
You can book a trip to the Banya in Salekhard in advance – this is a mixed banya and you should bring swimwear if you book this option.
We’re always happy to discuss any further customisations to trips. Please email or call us with additional queries.
When camping we’ll be cooking for ourselves and can cater to any dietary restrictions. Please inform us at the time of booking so that we can ensure we are able to source the required ingredients. Please be aware that meat and fish will be served at mealtimes.
Whilst we recommend that you have a moderate level of fitness, no prior cross country skiing experience is required for this trip. We will provide your skis for this trip, and if you’ve never done it before you’ll find out just how much fun a skitour is!