As the snow and ice thaw in Russia’s Arctic regions, the rivers come to life. This trip gives you the opportunity to experience Siberia in a way that not many people ever do – from the water!
From class III rapids to the fun of fishing in rivers full of life, this is definitely an adventure you’ll be talking about for years.
There is also an option to add a 2-night homestay with the local indigenous Nenets people at an additional €200. This extends the trip to 10 days.
Price is based on double occupancy: a single supplement of €200 will apply if you are a single traveller and are not happy to share a twin room.
Contact us via email or phone if your preferred dates are unavailable.
· Collection from the airport or your hotel if you arrive a day early.
· Arrival at our campsite and set up camp and rafting gear.
· After lunch we’ll have a safety briefing and you can relax before dinner.
· Camping overnight.
· After breakfast we change into our rafting gear.
· Today is spent on the water, with a gentle start in the morning.
· We’ll break for lunch before continuing on to our overnight campsite.
· Set up camp and have dinner.
· Complete the last stretch of the Makar-Ruz river before it merges with Haramatolou.
· Stop for lunch and a rest before tackling the class II and III rapids of the Haramatolou in the afternoon.
· Spend the night camping by the river once again.
· Reach the confluence on the Harmatolou and Sob rivers in the morning.
· Once we reach the Sob it will be easy rafting on the river with lots of opportunities for fishing and cooking our catch.
· Camping overnight.
· We follow the gentle current down the river, stopping at some of our favourite fishing spots as we go.
· Set up camp for the night at one of our secret spots.
· Another day of rafting and fishing
· If you’re feeling particularly brave then you can go swimming!
· A short rafting trip after breakfast to our stopping point
· Transfer to Salekhard and check in to our hotel.
· Enjoy a hot shower and some free time to explore.
· Option for a banya before our group dinner.
· Transfer to Salekhard airport after breakfast to catch your flight.
On this optional extension, day 6 ends with our arrival at the Nenets cabin on the river. We stay with them for 2 nights before resuming our rafting trip on day 8. Day 9 sees us arriving in Salekhard for the final night of the trip.
The Trip Cost Includes:
- Accommodation: 1 night in Salekhard hotel (twin-share), 6 nights camping (2 night homestay with Nenets if this option is selected)
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- Russian Arctic Travel English-speaking guide
- Tour in Salekhard if desired
- All transfers in Salekhard
- All rafting equipment including wetsuits
- Arctic safety/security equipment
- Permits for Yamal region
- Return flights from Moscow or St Petersburg to Salekhard
The Trip Cost Does Not Include:
- Personal expenses such as drinks, tickets, phone calls, etc.
- Travel Insurance
- Individual clothing, backpack, cold-weather clothing (contact us for advice - rental is available)
- Use of banya/sauna in Salekhard
Frequently Asked QuestionsExpand/Close
In July the weather is usually quite warm during the day, but temperatures can drop significantly overnight. We recommend bringing both a lightweight and thicker down (or equivalent) jacket. Multiple layers are recommended so that you can dress for different temperatures. You can hire your outer layers from us if you arrive and find that it’s colder than expected!
We advise bringing 2 sets of swimwear to put on under your wetsuit, so that you can be sure of having a dry set each morning. You’ll also need a swimsuit for the banya if you wish to visit during your trip!
Sleeping bags are included in the cost of your trip, as are tents, rafting, camping and fishing equipment where applicable.
This trip already has an optional extension so that you can experience life with the Nenets reindeer herders.
You can book a trip to the Banya in Salekhard in advance – this is a mixed banya and you should bring swimwear if you book this option.
We’re always happy to discuss any further customisations to trips. Please email or call us with additional queries.
When camping we’ll be cooking for ourselves and can cater to any dietary restrictions. Please inform us at the time of booking so that we can ensure we are able to source the required ingredients. Please be aware that meat and fish will be served at mealtimes.
No specific training is required for our rafting trips as we will go through a safety briefing and general instructions on the first evening. We are very used to taking people with no rafting experience on these trips, so you don’t need to worry if you’re a total beginner! A moderate level of fitness will definitely help you enjoy the trip a little more, but most people will find the pace very manageable.